Smog Check Blog

What do I do if my vehicle fails a Smog Check?

If your vehicle fails a biennial smog check, you have several options to meet your smog check obligations.

  1. Have your vehicle diagnosed and repaired at a licensed Test and Repair station.
  2. Apply for financial assistance for emissions-related repairs from the Consumer Assistance Program (CAP).
  3. Seek a Repair Cost Waiver through the Referee System.

If you choose to have your vehicle diagnosed and repaired, keep in mind that all emission related repairs to correct a smog failure must be performed by a licensed smog technician at a licensed station.

If your vehicle is directed to a Test-Only or Gold Shield station, repairs cannot be performed at the Test-Only station, but the final test after repairs may be done there, or at a Gold Shield station.

  • RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter